EMOM workout is one of the fitness trends that are gaining popularity and prestige in equal measure. Although it is one of the most practiced method, there are still many people who are not clear about what it is or what it consists of.
EMOM workouts method is best, both in training for weight loss and to gain strength. Discover EMOM what it is and everything that interests you to exercise with this method.
EMOM Workout, What is it and what does it consist of?
EMOM workout is a type of fitness training consisting of closed routines of a single exercise repeated a certain number of times in a predefined time of minutes. But the acronym of EMOM in English phrase is “Every minute on the minute”.
Given this, an EMOM routine is based on a single exercise and its massive repetition within an interval training.
Before starting the training, you already know what exercise you should do and number of repetitions in a minute.
The time remaining between the last repetition and until the end of that minute is rest time. That is, the number of seconds during which your body recovers. Because when you start the next minute again, you must perform that exercise in the preset number of repetitions.
The efficiency of the EMOM routine is based on the massive repetition of movement in a high-intensity workout. It is especially indicated for exercises to gain strength as well as for cardio exercises and to lose weight.
Differences and similarities between what is EMOM, Tabata and AMRAP
- There is some confusion between what EMOM is and whether it is same as the AMRAP or the Tabata method.
- Although all three are training methods based on the massive repetition of an exercise, they are different from each other.
- The particularity of EMOM workout is that before starting the routine you must define the number of repetitions to perform each minute.
- The ideal is to do them in a short time and leave the rest of the minute for rest or recovery.
- Knowing what EMOM is, the difference with the AMRAP method is clear, whose characteristic is to perform the maximum possible number of repetitions in one minute.
- And the difference with the Tabata method is also clear in which as the routine progresses the number of repetitions of the exercise per minute decreases.
- Taking into account what EMOM is, you can already imagine that it is hard training. Yes, it is. But it is very easy to adapt it to the reality of your state of form and your abilities.
- And it is very efficient and effective. That is why it is gaining popularity and prestige by leaps and bounds.
MAIN ADVANTAGE OF EMOM WORKOUTS
- The EMOM method is very efficient and allows us to obtain excellent results in short routines.
- Allows you to focus on just one exercise per routine and the perfect execution technique. In this way, you gain ineffectiveness for the desired purpose.
- It is very efficient for improving fitness in both EMOM cardio training and EMOM strength training.
- It is easy to design and customize. Once you have decided what exercises you want to train with, what your current fitness is and knowing what EMOM is, it will be very easy and fast for you to create your training plan.
- It allows you to easily measure and improve your progress. Something key to making smart and informed decisions about your workouts. And that, besides, will help you improve your motivation.
How to create an efficient EMOM workout routine step by step?
Now that you know more about EMOM workouts and what it is, it’s time to find out how to create an efficient EMOM routine.
To do this, you must bear in mind that it is recommended to dedicate between 7 and 15 minutes to each type of exercise in training sessions of between 20 and 40 minutes.
You can start with workouts of only one type of exercise in sessions of 12 or 15 minutes.
And after a while, choose three types of exercises, dedicating 7 minutes to each of them, if you are looking for short workouts.
Or four types of exercises in 10-minute blocks for 40-minute sessions, for example.
However, as you have already been able to read in the EMOM point what it is, the number of repetitions per minute is defined by you before you start exercising.
This allows you to design the training routine you need based on your current fitness and your goals to achieve.
To do this, follow these steps:
- Define what type of training you want to do based on your goals. Strength, to exercise a certain part of the body? Cardiovascular?
- Decide which exercise or exercises will be part of the EMOM training for that day and how many minutes you will dedicate to each of them.
- Determine the number of repetitions to execute during each minute. Keep in mind that they should be enough to make it a challenge for your body that brings you closer to your goals. But also that it is achievable and allows you a few seconds of rest to complete the session successfully.
Examples of EMOM Workout Routines for Beginners
EMOM cardio routine.
Do 80 rope jumps in one minute in a 10-minute routine.
Routine to exercise legs EMOM.
Do 5 pushups per minute in a 10-minute routine followed by 7 jumping strides per minute for 10 minutes and 8 pushups per minute for 10 minutes.
EMOM strength routine.
15 dumbbell push per minute for 8 minutes followed by 12 barbell deadlifts per minute for 8 minutes and 12 weight crunches per minute for 8 minutes.
Tricks for an EMOM efficient and successful training
- Having more clear about what EMOM is and how to design training, there is still something important: the tricks that will help you to efficient and successful training.
- Knowing what EMOM means in CrossFit makes it clear the need to measure time visibly during training. Have a watch with a second hand in front of you or create alerts every minute on your mobile to follow the routine correctly.
- Don’t forget to warm up before training.
- To gain muscular endurance, determine the repetitions taking into account that it is more effective to do fewer repetitions per minute but with a higher weight than more with less weight.
- To improve cardiovascular endurance in a more efficient EMOM routine use weights and increase the number of repetitions.
- During the rest seconds, control breathing.
- Hydration is important throughout the training.
After these clarifications, you already know what EMOM is and everything you need to know. So, start exercising with this effective high-intensity training method. Define your goals and start now to achieve your goals as soon as possible.
Also Read:- The best 7 Fat Burning Exercise