Due to work hours, availability, or lack of a gym close to home, more peoples decide to train at home. Or, in some cases, combine physical work sessions at the gym with others at home. You don’t need an extensive infrastructure or have a lot of space to do strength exercises at home that works.
Strength exercises at home without specific equipment
You can plan training sessions at home even if you don’t have specific material for strength training. To perform these exercises at home, you will not need anything more than a little space will and sports clothes.
1. Push up for triceps
To do this exercise, you must start from a position with feet and hands on the ground:
- Keep your hands positioned slightly more than shoulder-width apart, fingers facing forward. You must keep your back straight.
- Then bend your arms and slowly lower yourself until your chest is about to touch the ground but without it.
- Hold this position for a second. After this moment, straighten your arms and return to the starting position.
- Repeat the exercise 12 to 20 times, depending on how you plan your strength training at home.
This exercise works the pectoral area, the triceps, and the shoulders, mainly. Do you want to make it more difficult by increasing its effectiveness? Put a moderate weight on your back in a balanced way to avoid hurting yourself, such as a vest with weights.
2. Crunches workout for the abs
Crunch are one of the strength exercises at home or in the gym that cannot be missed in any training session to work abdominals:
- Lie on your back with your back straight on the floor for the starting position, and your legs bent. Place your hands on your chest or behind your head, whichever is most comfortable for you.
- Contract your abdominal muscles and, at the same time, raise your shoulder blades during the contraction. Do this while keeping your neck straight and stretched forward at all times.
- Hold the position for 2 seconds. It is common to feel a slight burning or tight feeling in the abdominals.
- After that stop, slowly lower your back to return to the starting position. Repeat this exercise 12 to 20 times as you plan your strength workout at home.
You can increase the difficulty of the exercise by putting some books on your chest. But always be careful that they are balanced and do not pose a risk of changing the optimal posture during exercise.
3. Lateral plank exercise to work all the supporting muscles
- Lie on the floor on your side.
- Rest one hand on the ground and keep the other close to your body.
- Raise yourself until you have only one arm supported and your feet on the ground. The arm that is resting on the floor must be completely flexed.
- You can make the exercise easier by resting your forearm on the floor.
- The feet should be together at all times, and the legs should remain straight while holding the position for 2-3 seconds.
Return to the starting position slowly. You can repeat it between 10 and 20 times, depending on what you have designed the training session at home.
Strength exercises at home with the help of everyday objects
Some everyday objects can help you train at home. These strength exercises at home are beneficial, and interestingly, you include them in your training routines.
- Put a chair behind you. Make sure it is robust so that it stays at the point where you leave it:
- For the starting position, stand a little away, place your hands on the edge of the seat, spaced approximately at a distance similar to the width of your shoulders.
- Keep your arms straight and bend your knees to position yourself, almost sitting in the air in front of the chair.
- Slowly bend your arms at a 90-degree angle as you lower your entire body.
- Once you reach this point, hold it for a second before straightening your arms again and returning to the starting position.
Repeat the exercise 5-10 times.
2. One leg squats for weight loss and to work legs.
- Put a stack of books on the floor, a small coffee table, or a stable ladder:
- Sit on the object of your choice (in the case the ladder on a rung) with your feet on the ground. The technique is straightforward, but the exercise is very demanding.
- It would be best if you got up from a sitting position but very slowly with only one leg.
- Complete the push job by finishing with the knee-high and hunched over, accompanied by a vigorous swing action.
- Sit back and repeat the exercise but now with the other leg.
It may seem like an easy exercise, but it is very demanding. And the lower the seat, the more difficult the exercise will be. Try to repeat it at least five times with each leg. With this exercise, you will mainly work the glutes, quadriceps, hamstrings, and other legs and whole body muscles.
3. Shoulder raise to work arms and shoulders.
- Stand up with your arms resting at the sides of your body and a 1-liter carton (of milk, juice, broth) in each hand. Raise each tetra brick to the side, in the same line as your shoulder, with your arm well extended, just as you would with a dumbbell. Hold the position for 10 seconds and repeat it as many times as you consider appropriate for your home training.
These strength exercises at home will help you work different muscles of the body effectively. As you can see, you do not need to have unique materials for training, but it is recommended that you use suitable clothing or footwear. Never do exercises at home with footwear such as slippers or flip-flops as a bad footprint could injure you during exercise.